|Includes: Letter from the Air Ministry to the Directorate of Graves Registration and Enquiries (DGRE) stating that Captain Robinson was buried in Harrow Weald Parish Cemetery and that arrangements for the erection of a private memorial were being made by the relatives, dated 5 January 1920; newspaper cutting from the Daily Express regarding the erection of a memorial on the grave of Captain Robinson, who brought down the first German airship on British soil, with funds raised by Daily Express readers, dated 17 December 1920; letter from the IWGC Director of Records to the IWGC Director of Works noting that the memorial marking Captain Robinson’s grave was a granite cross six feet high with an incised sword enclosed by a granite kerb and covered with granite chips, and that the erection of a Commission headstone would not be practicable, dated 14 September 1932; handwritten letter from Mrs. T.S. Ross (Irene L. Ross), sister of the casualty, to the IWGC regarding the neglected condition of Captain Robinson’s grave, as reported in a press clipping, and request for assistance to tidy up the grave, dated 9 July 1945; letter from the IWGC Secretary to Mrs. T.S. Ross suggesting that she write to the Vicar of Harrow Weald to make arrangements for the maintenance of the grave, as the Commission were unable to maintain graves marked by private memorials, though they could assume responsibility for its care if it continued to remain in a neglected state, dated 21 July 1945; letter from R.W. Beattie to the Air Ministry regarding the incorrect number of the airship inscribed on Captain Robinson’s memorial, which was listed as L-21 instead of SL-11, dated 1 September 1948; letter from F. Tyrrell, IWGC Secretary, to R.W. Beattie explaining that the memorial was erected under the auspices of the Daily Express and that questions concerning the inscription should be forwarded to them, dated 15 September 1948; copy letter from Mrs. T.S. Ross to the IWGC Secretary explaining that she was unable to contact the Vicar of Harrow Weald to arrange for the upkeep of Captain Robinson’s grave, and enquiring whether the Commission was able to undertake the future maintenance of the grave, dated 14 March 1949; letter from F. Tyrrell to Mrs. T.S. Ross regarding an offer by St. Bee’s School, where Captain Robinson was educated, to pay for the memorial’s maintenance in perpetuity, dated 30 March 1949; handwritten letter from Mrs. T.S. Ross to the IWGC agreeing to St. Bee’s School’s offer to maintain the grave, dated 2 April 1949; letter from Gordon F. Pearce to The Royal Aero Club regarding the neglected condition of Captain Robinson’s grave, dated 20 July 1959; letter from the IWGC Regional Director to the Headmaster, St. Bee’s School, enquiring whether arrangements were made for the maintenance of his grave in 1949 and if they were still in effect, dated 25 September 1959; letter from the IWGC Secretary to the Under-Secretary of State, Air Ministry, regarding the Commission’s decision to accept responsibility for the maintenance of Captain Robinson’s grave, dated 14 October 1959; letter from the IWGC Secretary to the Under-Secretary of State, Air Ministry, regarding an arrangement between St. Bee’s School and a local monumental mason to maintain the grave of Captain Robinson, and that the Commission would carry out occasional inspections, dated 28 October 1959; newspaper cutting from the Evening Standard reporting that Henry Hawkes, licensee of the Leefe Robinson public house, was maintaining Captain Robinson’s grave, dated 17 March 1965; handwritten letter from Carl S. Walters to the CWGC enquiring about the incorrect number of the German zeppelin brought down by Captain Robinson that was inscribed on his headstone, and the graves of German First World War airmen buried in the area, dated 18 January 1972; letter from B. Walton, CWGC Director-General to Miss D. Emberson, Honorary Secretary, Wealdstone Branch, British Legion, regarding the Commission’s proposal to commemorate the four war graves in Harrow Weald (All Saints) Churchyard Extension, including that of Captain Robinson, in Wembley (Alperton) Burial Ground with standard Commission headstones, as well as a stone indicating where the four casualties are buried, as a result of plans to possibly clear the churchyard, dated 31 January 1973.
|HARROW WEALD (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION