Unique IDCWGC/2/1/ADD 6.2.5
File NumberADD 6/2/5
TitleAnnual Report No: 05 (1923-24)


DescriptionFifth IWGC Annual Report for 1923-1924
Content NoteContents include:

Introduction detailing the origins of the Imperial War Graves Commission, the provisions of its Royal Charter and founding principles, the extent of its work statistically and geographically, the design of the headstones, and the architectural and horticultural treatment of the cemeteries and memorials. Maps and illustrations including photographs of the tablet erected in Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris; Tezze British Cemetery, Italy; Daours Communal Cemetery Extension, France; Memorial to the “Missing” of the East African Native Troops, to be erected at Mombasa, Kenya Colony; Barenthal Military Cemetery, Asiago Plateau, Italy; an unknown soldier’s headstone, Cavalletto British Cemetery, Asiago Plateau, Italy; Naval Memorial, Chatham, Memorial to the “Missing” of the Salonika Force, Lake Doiran; Etaples Military Cemetery, France; Military Plot, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, London, Ontario, Canada; Chatby Cemetery, Alexandria, Egypt; Memorial in the Indian Cemetery, Monastir Road, Salonika; and the “Last Post’ at Terlincthun British Cemetery, France, May 1922 on the conclusion of the King’s Pilgrimage; maps of Great Britain showing distribution of the larger cemeteries; of cemeteries constructed or under construction in Somme district, France; in Ypres Salient; in Armentieres district; in Northern Italy; in Salonika Area; on Gallipoli Peninsula; in Palestine and in Egypt.

A statistical table of death casualties of the war ascertained to 31st March 1924, divided into United Kingdom, Indian Empire, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Newfoundland and Other British, totalling approximately 1,019,882; and a statistical table of graves registered in the various areas (countries and territories).

A statement of accounts and of the finances of the Commission up to 31st March 1924, including a reference to the inclusion under Appendix A of the acquisition in perpetuity of the sites of the graves of members of HM forces who are buried in the United Kingdom, and on the provision of a commemorative tablet in Amiens Cathedral, expenditure on both of which falls on the Imperial Exchequer only. Salaries of Administrative Staff represent 5.63 per cent of the total expenditure of the Commission during the period. Identification by name of the membership of the Finance Committee who had supervised the administration of the Commission’s expenditure during the period under review.

An updated list of the members of the Commission on 31st March 1924, several changes having taken place chiefly owing to the General Election in the winter of 1923-24.

Summary of the itinerary of the tour of the cemeteries on the Italian Front made in May 1923 by the King and Queen, accompanied by the Earl of Cavan and a small suite, which included the cemeteries at Montecchio Precalcino to lay a wreath, at Boscon, Barenthal and Magnaboschi on the Asiago Plateau, and lastly to Dueville. In March 1923 a tour of the Western Front cemeteries was made by a party of Labour Members of Parliament. Another tour was made in July 1923 by the Dominion Delegates of the British Empire Service League, and in November 1923 Terlincthun British Cemetery was visited by the Canadian Prime Minister R. Hon W. L. MacKenzie King C.M.G. In February 1924 the Prime Minister of Australia the Rt. Hon. S. M. Bruce visited cemeteries on the Gallipoli Peninsula accompanied by the Vice-Chairman.
Acknowledgement of the deaths during the year of General Sir Herbert Cox the representative of the Secretary of State for India on the Commission, and of Mr. Charles Scott Meik, M.Inst.C.E., M.E., adviser to the Commission on constructional safety against earthquakes, principally in connection with the work in Macedonia and Gallipoli.

On 19th December 1923, a Supplemental Charter was granted to the Commission extending their powers to graves which might not be within the limitations of their original Charter, but which the Government of any part of the Empire might be desirous of maintaining. Under these powers the Commission has taken over the supervision, among others, of the graves of the Crimean War in Russia and Turkey at the expense of the United Kingdom.
The organisation of the Commission in France and Belgium remained as in the previous year, the total strength of personnel being 1,813, or a reduction of 29. Several cemeteries were dedicated during the year, including Ecoivres Military Cemetery, where the Cross was unveiled by General Sir Aylmer Haldane, accompanied by members of the British Empire Service League; Abbeville, where General the Earl of Cavan officiated in the presence of Marshal Foch and a large representative French company; and Souvenir Cemetery, St. Omer, where the Cross was unveiled by General Sir Nevil Macready.

In No. 1 Area, Ypres, the number of cemeteries under construction was very large, and work began on the Menin Gate Memorial; in No. 6 Area (Line of Communication North), the constructional work of the cemeteries has now been completed; in No. 7 Area (Line of Communication South) cemetery construction is also practically finished apart from the large cemetery of St. Sever, near Rouen, with nearly 11,000 graves; in No. 8 Area (Aisne and Marne) the branch office premises opened last year at Belleu are satisfactory; in Southern Area, Marseilles, the construction of the Mazargues Cemetery was due to commence at the end of the year.

The Administrative Branch reported continuing difficulties with catering arrangements, chiefly owing to fluctuation in prices of commodities and foodstuffs. Health was good, most of the sickness being due to a mild outbreak of influenza at the end of 1923; recreation facilities improve; many wireless installations have been set up, the supply of papers organised by the Victoria League has given much satisfaction; church services are conducted by the Reverend B. Keymer on alternating Sundays each month at Arras, Albert, Ypres and Armentieres.

The Horticultural Branch showed a considerable reduction in personnel, chiefly owing to the fact that the rougher work of getting the cemeteries into condition suitable for horticultural maintenance has been completed in many cases. The number of personnel is 1,263 who maintain 2,673 cemeteries. Eleven miles of hedges were planted and 39 acres of ground sown to grass during the year. Seven nurseries are now maintained and it is estimated that nearly three and a-half million trees, shrubs or flowering plants were distributed to the cemeteries. The approximate mileage run in motor transport by the horticultural staff was 219,000 miles; 179 pedal bicycles were also in use; 761 new road direction boards were made for cemeteries which are difficult for visitors to find.

The Transport Branch reported more cars and box cars were acquired, with the total number of vehicles, including motor cycles, on the road at the end of the year being 185, and the personnel being increased to 194. The mileage run was 1,019,515 miles.

The Records Branch reported Nos. 2 and 3 Areas have been combined and the portion of Belgium in No. 2 Area has been added to No. 1 Area. Nos. 2 and 3 Areas are now worked from Armentieres. A considerable number of isolated graves are still being found and reported to the Commission's officers, with some 4,074 being found and re-buried during the year ending 31st March 1924, of which 730 were identified.

Works Branch reported 22 contracts of importance were in progress during the year, including 351 cemeteries with 317,487 graves. Five other contracts were prepared for tender, covering 141 cemeteries and 64,690 graves. The principal cemeteries completed during the year were as follows: -
Abbeville C.C. Extension, Adelaide B.C., Aubers Ridge B.C., Anneux B.C., Arneke B.C., Aeroplane B.C., Bagneux B.C., Bernafay Wood B.C., Bucquoy Road B.C.. Brandhoek M.C. No. 3, Belgian Battery Corner, Cambrian M.C., Canada Farm B.C. Elverdinghe, Connaught B.C., Croix du Bac B.C., Crucifix Corner B.C., Chester Farm, Cross Roads, Daours C.C.E., Duisans B.C., Dozinghem M.C., Dickebusch New Mil. and Extn., Duhallow A.D.S., Dranoutre M.C.,
Ebblinghem B.C., Erquinghem Lys. Chyd. Extn., Esquelbecq B.C., Essex Farm, Boesinghe, Etaples M.C., Feuchy Chapel, Godewaersvelde B.C., Grove Town B.C., Guards Cem. Windy Corner, Gwalia B.C., Haringhe Bandaghem M.C., Huts M.C. Dickebusch Hangard C.C.E., Lapugnoy M.C., Laventie M.C., Le Grand Beaumart B.C., Lijssenthoek M.C., La Kreule B.C., La Brique M.C. Nos. 1 and 2, La Laiterie M.C., Merville C.C. and C.C.E., Meteren M.C., Monchy B.C., Mendinghem M.C., Outtersteene C.C.E., Oxford Road B.C. Ypres, Puchevillers B.C., Perth Cem. China Wall, Potijze Chateau Lawn Grounds and Wood, Quarry Cemetery Montauban, Reninghelst New M.C., Romeries C.C.E., St. Hilaire C.C. and C.C.E., St. Venant Robecq Road B.C, Trois Arbres B.C., Talana Farm, V1amertinghe New M.C., Voormezeele Enc. No. 3, Warlincourt Halte B.C., Windmill B.C., " Y " Farm M.C.

Figures for the number of cemeteries completed in all respects, including those where no architectural treatment was necessary, with number of War Crosses erected by direct labour, plus the total number of headstones shipped to France and Belgium were quoted as at 31st March 1924. The following additional cemeteries each containing over 400 graves had been complete since the 31st March. 1924:- Awoingt B.C., Bard Cottage M.C., Bouzincourt C.C.E., Coxyde M.C., Highland B.C., Kandahar Farm Cem., Kemmel Chateau M.C., La Clytte M.C., Martinsart B.C., Royal Berks. Hyde Park Corner M.C. and Extension, Ypres Town Cem. and Extension. Further updates to the above figures as at 31st December 1924 were given to include these.

The 5th Meeting of the Anglo-French Mixed Committee was held in Paris on the 28th March, 1924. The most important matter discussed was the report of the Secretary-General concerning the cemeteries referred to the Ministry of the Interior as a result of the decision of the Committee at its last meeting. The membership of this Committee and of the Anglo-French Mixed Committee (at the end of October, 1924) were listed by name.

A tablet in memory of the dead of the British Empire has been erected in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, and was unveiled by the Prince of Wales on 7th July, 1924.

The work of Land and Legal Branch is continually increasing. The services of a French liaison officer have been of great assistance. The sites of 567 cemeteries in France have now been acquired by the French Government for the Commission; in Belgium 134 have been handed over by the Authorities to the Commission for construction. Of 76 applications for permission to erect battle exploit memorials in France on behalf of units or formations, 40 have been authorised and 15 abandoned by the units. In Belgium 33 applications have been received and of these 25 have been authorised and six have been abandoned by the units.

In Italy constructional work and the erection of headstones was practically completed, with the exception of the Cemetery at Arquata Scrivia where, through the efforts of the Anglo-Italian Mixed Committee, a deliberation by the municipality conceding the ground in perpetuity was passed, on condition that some small modifications were made in the design. The membership of the Anglo-Italian Mixed Committee were listed by name, their second meeting held in Rome on the 31st March 1923 principally concerned the acquisition of the British Cemetery at Arquata Scrivia mentioned above.

In Greece and Macedonia the following 11 cemeteries were completed constructionally and all the headstones erected:- Bralo, Doiran, Karasouli, Lahana, Sarigol, Struma, Monastir Road, Kirechkoi, Lembet Road, Mikra, Piraeus. The total number of headstones erected was 9,102. The Memorial at Lake Doiran to the Missing in the Salonika campaign was completed, 1,990 names being recorded.

On the 21st September, 1923, lieutenant-Colonel G. G. Heywood visited the cemetery at Struma and laid a wreath on behalf of Lieutenant-General Sir Charles Harington and the British Forces in Turkey, members of the British Colony and Consular representatives being present. The Greek Army was also represented. The following day the party visited Doiran and laid wreaths in the Cemetery there. On the return to Salonika there was a ceremony at Mikra, at which most of the Greek military and civil authorities and the British Colony were represented.

The membership of the Anglo-Greek Mixed Committee were listed by name, their first meeting held at Athens on the 15th February 1924 was attended by Mr. C. H. Bentinck, the British Charge d'Affaires, and the Vice-Chairman of the Commission. The Secretary-General to the Committee was appointed, and it was arranged that the war graves on the Greek Islands hitherto under charge Of the Commission's staff on the Gallipoli Peninsula should be maintained by the Committee.

Progress with construction and headstone erection in the following cemeteries was described: Syra Cemetery, Aegian Islands; two cemeteries in Yugo - Slavia (Chela Kula, Nish, and Uskub); five cemeteries in Bulgaria (Phillippopolis, Sofia, Dedeagatch, Roustchouck, and Varna); three cemeteries in Roumania (Braila, Bucharest and Slobotzia) and three cemeteries in ‘Turkey in Europe’ (Haidar Pasha, Mashlak and Osmanieh).

In Gallipoli headstones were erected in Canterbury Cemetery, in which the constructional work had been completed the previous year. In 25 other cemeteries the construction work had been completed, but the headstones were not all erected, namely in Beach Cemetery, 7th Fld. Ambulance, V. Beach, Redoubt, Ari Burnu, Baby 700, Quinn's Post, Green Hill, Hill 10, Skew Bridge, Courtney's and Steele's Post, Shrapnel Valley, The Nek. Five more cemeteries were in course of construction: Lone Pine, Chunuk Bair, The Farm, Walker's Ridge, Azmac, 4th Battalion, Hill 60, Twelve Tree Copse, Lala Baba, Lancashire Landing, Pink Farm, Plugge's Plateau, Embarkation Pier, N.Z. No. 2 Outpost, No. 2 Outpost, Shell Green, and Johnson's Jolly. 1,225 headstones were erected in the year and 4,398 shipped, 1,972 more being in course of preparation.

At the invitation of His Majesty's Government, a representative of the Commission was present at the discussion at Lausanne on the clauses of the Treaty of Peace with Turkey relating to War Graves, and the terms of the Treaty now provide for full recognition of the Commission's principles of maintenance in perpetuity. The treaty provided for the appointment of a Boundary Commission to regulate on the spot questions affecting the burial places and particularly to fulfil the duty of giving official recognition to the existing burial places, for the purpose of the grant by the Turkish Government of the land in perpetuity. The two British representatives on the Boundary Commission have been nominated, but the nomination of the Turkish representative is still awaited. The Commission's requirements in land are ready to be formally reported to the Committee.

In Palestine, Syria and Trans-Jordania, progress with construction and headstone erection was described in Beersheba War Cemetery and Jerusalem War Cemetery. Work was commenced in Jerusalem, Indian and Limber Hill Cemeteries; other cemeteries under construction or ready for tender were Ramleh War Cemetery, including Indian and Egyptian Sections, Haifa, Beirut and Deir el Belah. Progress with the horticultural treatment and tree planting in Ramleh and Jerusalem War Cemeteries was also detailed. The Government of Palestine have presented the land on which the war cemeteries stand as a free gift to the Commission, and have obtained titles for the cemeteries at Limber Hill, Beersheba, Deir el Belah, and Jerusalem and the Indian Cemeteries. Ceremonies included the Armistice day commemorations in November 1923 at the British and French Military Cemeteries attended by General Weygand the new High Commissioner for Syria and the Lebanon; and at Damascus on 17th January 1924 where Colonel Guedeney, C.M.G., commanding the French troops, formally handed over to General Tudor, G.O.C., Palestine, the Title Deeds of the two cemeteries at Damascus and Beyrout, the land of which the French Government had generously acquired at their own expense.

The membership of the Anglo-Egyptian War Cemeteries Executive Committee were listed by name, Dr. W. Hastings, O.B.E., and Lieut.-Colonel H. Castle-Smith Pasha continuing in office as Chairman and Vice-Chairman respectively. The nine War Memorial Cemeteries whose construction was completed last year were: Cairo, Hadra (Alexandria), Chatby (Alexandria), Port Said, Kantara, Ismailia, Suez, Tel el Kebir and Minia. By the 31st March 1924, 5,621 headstones had been received and 4,477 erected. Constructional work on the Indian War Memorial Cemeteries situated at Abbassia, Hadra, Suez, Kantara and Ismailia was put in hand, as well as the special memorial erected in Port Said Moslem Civil Cemetery to the Indian soldiers buried there. Steady progress has been made with the horticultural embellishment of the cemeteries with a water supply being laid on to the cemetery at Ismailia, and hoped-for improvement in the supply at Hadra and Chatby, although Kantara presents the most difficult problem being situated on the desert side of Suez Canal where it has not been possible to arrange adequate water supply. In 1920 the Committee considered the precarious position of 551 graves situated at El Arish, which were considered in danger in the event of heavy rain. The graves were accordingly exhumed and reburied at Kantara.
The building of the Memorial to the Egyptian Labour Corps and Camel Transport Corps has been commenced.

In East Africa, the Great War Cross has been erected in Nairobi, Voi and Taveta Cemeteries. The crosses for New Moschi and Mombasa have been landed, and contracts placed for those intended for Upanga Street, Sea View (Dar-es-Salaam) and Morogoro Cemeteries. Headstones are now on the graves at Nairobi. An Ordinance has been passed by the Government of Tanganyika entrusting the war graves in that territory to the Imperial War Graves Commission. Similar ordinances are being sought for from the Governments of other territories in British East Africa.

In Iraq, after negotiations between the Commission, the Air Ministry, the High Commissioner and the Air Officer Commanding, arrangements were made which resulted in the Chief Engineer, British Forces in Iraq, taking over the construction work and general supervision of the work of the Commission in Iraq. By the end of the year filling and levelling at Basra Cemetery was completed, and tenders were out for the other work. Agreements have been come to as to the price of the land occupied by the cemeteries, and purchases will be completed on production of Title Deeds by the owners. Owing to the impossibility of maintaining graves in their existing locations a certain amount of concentration has been found necessary. 531 remains were concentrated from various places into Amara War Cemetery.

In the United Kingdom the total number of cemeteries and military plots in cemeteries completed with their headstones (or other treatment instead of headstones) by the 31st March was 48, as follows: St. Albans Cem., Hastings Cem., Bramshott St. Mary's Chyd. Hampstead Cem., Chichester Cem., St. James' Cem. Dover, Brookwood Cem., East London Cem. Plaistow, Richmond Cem. Surrey, Tottenham and Wood Green Cem., Ladywell Cem. Lewisham,
Ontario Cem. Orpington, Felixstowe New Cem., Gravesend Cem., City of London Cem. Little Ilford, Duke St. Cem. Southport, Lodge Hill Cem. Birmingham, Camberwell Cem., Allerton Cem. Liverpool, Anfield Cem. Liverpool, Kirkdale Cem. Liverpool, West Derby Cem. Liverpool, Toxteth Park Cem. Liverpool, Reading Cem., Warrington Cem., Gloucester Cem., Bordon Cem., Southern Cem. Manchester, St. ]oseph's Cem. Manchester, Milford Cem. Surrey, Welford Rd. Cem. Leicester, Allenvale Cem. Aberdeen, Walton-on-Thames Cem., Boscombe Cem., Shorncliffe Cem., Towcester Road Cem. Northampton, Newport Cem. Lincs., Comely Bank Cem. Edinburgh, Codford St. Mary's Cem., Cannock Chase Cem., Lawnswood Cem. Leeds, Tidworth Cem., Whalley Cem., Cardiff Cem., Parkhurst Cem., Hove Borough Cem., Aylesbury Cem., Locksbrook Cem. Bath.

Figures quoted for the number of cemeteries completed as regards the construction, number of headstones erected, number of cemeteries and military plots under construction, and number of designs in hand at the end of the year, along with the number of agreements for maintenance entered into and the number of graves these cover. Figures further updated following a note that, in addition to the Cemeteries mentioned above, the following were completed by December 31st 1924: Avonview, Brighton, Bury St. Edmunds, Bootle, Chester, Canford, Cambridge, Fulford Water, Grantham, Harefield, Hipswell, Ince, Kensal Green All Souls, Netley, Newcastle St. Andrews and Jesmond, Nottingham General, North Merchiston, Ocklinge, Portsdown, Christchurch, Sutton Veny, Seaford, Stockport Willow Grove, Torquay Extra Mural, Wokingham.

In Canada the total number of headstones ordered up to the 31st March 1924 was 5,069, and the number erected up to the same date was 4,166. Progress is greatly affected by climatic conditions, headstone erection being a limited to a summer building period. The Naval Memorial at Halifax, and the Cross of Sacrifice at Hamilton, Ontario, were unveiled with appropriate ceremony. A complete record was made of all graves of prisoners of war and interned aliens in Canada, and arrangements made for maintenance.

In the United States headstones were ordered for 64 additional graves, making a total to the 31st March of 159.

In Siberia reports show that the British Cemetery at Vladivostock is being maintained in good order. Several bronze tablets on the central memorial had been stolen and have now been replaced by marble tablets.

The Australian Government has undertaken to carry out permanent work in respect of war graves in Australia and New Guinea, in addition to the maintenance in perpetuity of such graves. Figures quoted for the number of war graves in Australia, and those verified for which headstones are being provided; number erected to date, and those for which contracts in hand provide for the early completion. The headstones are of a similar pattern to those erected on the Western Front, and are made of the stone locally available. A Cross of Sacrifice in white marble has been erected in the Soldiers' Cemetery, West Terrace, Adelaide.

In New Zealand the total number of war graves recorded as at the 31st March 1924 was 1,985, contained in 327 cemeteries and churchyards. During the year permanent work, including the erection of headstones of New Zealand granite of the Commission's usual design, has been completed in the following cemeteries and churchyards: Waikaraka, Auckland; Waikurnete, Auckland; Purewa, Auckland; Birkenhead, Auckland; Swanson, Auckland; Otahuhu, Auckland; Mangere, Auckland; and Apia, Samoa. Contracts entered into and partly completed were: Martinborough, Wairarapa; Sydenham, Christchurch; Bromley, Christchurch; Addington, Christchurch; Tuahiwi, Canterbury; Motuihi Island, Auckland. Figures quoted for the number of headstones ordered and erected during the year and since the work commenced in December 1921.

In India the work in connection with the erection of permanent headstones over graves of British soldiers and members of the nursing Services who died in India during the War has practically been finished. The construction of a memorial to commemorate all those ranks of the Army, both British and Indian, who were killed on or beyond the frontier of India, is under consideration.

Summary of progress with the work in the colonies, including Gibraltar, where there was not room to erect the Cross of Sacrifice in the Cemetery, so a site about 400 yards away at the Bay Side Barrier was obtained; in Malta, where tenders have been called for the provision and erection of War Crosses at Pieta, Cappuccini and Addolorata Cemeteries, and also for the provision and erection of headstones; in Ceylon, where the records of the war graves in Ceylon are being cleared and a design for a Buddhist headstone was drawn up; in Hong Kong, where a local Committee has been appointed to carry out the duties of the Imperial War Graves Commission with the Head of the Sanitary Department being appointed Chairman, with the Colonial Government having intimated their willingness to be responsible for the cost of erecting the headstones and maintaining the cemeteries; in Sierra Leone, where during 1923 a local Agency was formed with the Officer Commanding Royal Engineers as President; in Gold Coast Territories, where a Committee consisting of the Officer Commanding Gold Coast Regiment, West African Frontier Force, and a representative of the European Staff of the Political and Treasury Departments, was appointed by H.E. the Governor in October, 1923, to deal with the war graves in the Colony on behalf of the Commission; in the Falkland Islands where there are 22 graves, most of which have private memorials, headstones will be erected on the remainder, and a Cross of Sacrifice is being despatched to Port Stanley; numbers of commemorations in Mauritius; in British Somaliland, Ascension Island and St. Helena.

In Germany the land of the concentration cemeteries referred to in last year's report at Cologne, Niederzwehren and Ohlsdorf has been acquired, and negotiations for the acquisition of that at Stahnsdorf, Berlin, is in process of completion; in Holland the cemeteries completed constructionally and with headstones erected are: S'Gravesande, The Hague and Noordwyk; in Switzerland the cemetery at Vevey was completed and an unveiling ceremony held; in Spain steps are being taken to acquire perpetuity rights in all the graves, and in some cases acquisition has been completed; in China, Tsingtao - a small plot of 11 graves about 6 miles from the town, memorials have been erected on the graves and a central memorial has been built and arrangements made through the Consul for maintenance partly from local funds. Mention of graves in Cape Verde Islands, Philippine Islands,
Japan and Guatemala.

The three Naval Memorials in the United Kingdom were nearing completion during the year and were all subsequently completed and unveiled during the summer of 1924. The Memorial at the Menin Gate was in progress during the year, having been selected as a suitable site for a memorial to commemorate those who fell near Ypres, but it was impossible to accommodate all the names of the missing in the Ypres sector on any one memorial, so another memorial is being erected in the cemetery at Tyne Cot, near Passchendaele, on which the balance of the names will be inscribed. Of the other memorials, the sites for those at La Ferte sous Jouarre, Cambrai, Soissons, St. Quentin, Arras, Armentieres and Bethune have been settled.
The memorial to the missing of the Indian Army will be erected at Neuve Chapelle to the design of Mr. Herbert Baker, A.RA. Great difficulty was experienced in obtaining the site selected by the representative of the Indian Army for this memorial, but the purchase was finally completed. A site for the memorial at Nieuport has been selected but not yet approved. The memorial at Cape Helles, to the missing of the British and Australian troops at Gallipoli, was under construction, the foundations had been completed and satisfactory progress made with the base of the shaft and dwarf and parapet walls. The design is by Sir John Bumet, R.A., the Commission's architect for Gallipoli. The memorial to the Indian missing of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force is being erected at Port Tewfik near Suez. The design is the work of Sir John Bumet, the principal feature being an obelisk 65 feet high flanked by wing walls at each side.

The work of sorting out from the Official Casualty Lists the names of those who died during the war but whose graves have never been discovered has made considerable progress, and a provisional card index containing 404,737 names has been prepared. The areas in which 144,113 of these fell has been definitely ascertained, and arrangements have been made for their commemoration on the appropriate Missing Memorial.

During the year 52 registers have been compiled and published, 40 of these relate to cemeteries and cover 53,001 burials. The remaining 12 relate to the Naval Memorials at Chatham, Portsmouth and Plymouth, and contain particulars of 17,314 names inscribed on the memorials. The published are as follows (in France): Aubigny Com. Cem. Ext. (two parts), Auchel Com. Cem., Bac-du-Sud Brit. Cem., Bleville Com. Cem., Boulogne Eastern Cern. (four parts), Burbure Com. Cem., Cambrin Chyd. Ext., Chocques Chyd., Chocques Mil. Cem., Dainville Brit. Cem., Dainville Com. Cem., Deauville Com. Cem., Divion Com. Cem., Duisans Brit. Cem. (two parts), Etaples Mil. Cem. (Part 6), Etretat Chyd., Etretat Chyd. Ext., Falaise Com. Cem., Fecamp Com. Cem., Fouqereuil Com. Cem., Fouquieres Chyd., Fouquieres Chyd. Ext., Gosnay Com. Cem., Gouy-en-Artois Corn. Cem. Ext., Grove Town Cem., Haute-Avesnes RC., Houchin Brit. Cem., Houchin Com. Cem., Labeuvriere Com. Cem., La Chaudiere Mil. Cem., Lapugnoy Mil. Cem., Les Baraques Mil. Cem., Les Moutiers-Hubert Chyd., Lozinghem Com. Cem., Marles-les-Mines Com. Cem., Merville Chyd., Philosophe Brit. Cem. (two parts), Ste. Catherine Brit. Cem., Ste. Marie Cem., Le Havre, St. Nicolas Brit. Cem., Sanvic Com. Cem., Tourgeville Mil. Cem., Trouville Com. Cem., Verquin Corn. Cem., Wanquetin Com. Cem., Wanquetin Com. Cem. Ext.; (in Belgium): Bleuet Farm Cem., Canada Farm Cem., Dozinghem Mil. Cem. (two parts), Elverdinghe Chyd., Lijssenthoek Mil. Cem. (six parts), Mendinghem Mil. Cem. (two parts), Reninghelst New Mil. Cem. These registers are on sale to the public usually at the price of 3s. per copy.

Appendix A – Expenditure on acquisition of grave sites in perpetuity in the United Kingdom, payment to war office for services rendered by records offices, and commemorative tablet in Amiens Cathedral;
Appendix B – Statement of cash payments out of funds contributed by British and Dominion governments (after deduction of miscellaneous receipts) from 1st April 1923 to 31st March 1924;
Appendix C – Percentages of Participating Governments;
Appendix D – Statement of Total Cash Requirements (including provision for sub-accounts) from 1st April 1923 to 31st March 1924;
Appendix E – Fund for the Care and Maintenance of the Graves of the Fallen.
Extent1 file
Add to My Items