|Person Name||Goldsmith; George Hartley (1886-1967); Major; architect|
|Source||The information in the above entry has been used with permission kindly granted by Gavin Stamp, author of Silent Cities (London: Royal Institute of British Architects, 1977). |
Other sources include: CWGC Archive, Add/ 1/6/10, 'Major G.H. Goldsmith'; CWGC Archive, WG 219/2/5/2, 'Memorial to Missing La Ferte - Major G.H. Goldsmith's Agreement'
|Biographical Note||George Hartley Goldsmith was an Assistant Architect for the Imperial War Graves Commission.|
He was born in 1886 and trained at Manchester Art School and Victoria University, articled to James Horsfall, Roger Oldham and Henry Goldsmith.
He worked under Sir Edwin Lutyens as Assistant Draughtsman (1907-1910) and was in independent practice in Manchester in 1910. During the First World War, he attained the rank of Major.
In May 1919, Goldsmith was appointed Assistant Architect, with a reference provided by Lutyens. During his tenure, he designed 67 cemeteries in France and Belgium as well as the Memorial to the Missing at La Ferte-sous-Jouarre. For this memorial, Goldsmith submitted his design as part of a competition with other Commission architects and his design was deemed the winner.
Goldsmith resigned from the Commission on 31st July 1927, later working for the Midland Bank.
He died in 1967.